The Clerk's Department is responsible for issuing Business, Dog, Marriage and Lottery Licences.

Business Licensing

A new or existing business in the City of Thorold does not require a business licence unless it is one of the following:

  • Auctioneer
  • Bed & Breakfast Establishment
  • Itinerant Seller
  • Refreshment Vehicle

Applications relevant to each trade, occupation or establishment are available from the Clerk's Department. Once the completed application and fee are received the application is circulated to the following departments, if necessary, for approval:

Applicants are encouraged to submit the completed documentation to City Hall well in advance of your required date to allow sufficient time for processing.

Dog Licensing 

Canine Control By-Law No. 17-2017

All dog owners within the City of Thorold are required to obtain a licence for their pet annually.  All dog licences expire on December 31stNew licences may be purchased beginning November 1st of each year, for the following year.
Licence fees:
November 1, 2017 to December 1, 2018 Neutered                   $25.00
Not Neutered             $50.00
January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018 Neutered                   $35.00
Not Neutered             $60.00
Dangerous Dog $50.00 plus Licence Fee
Replacement Dog Tag $2.00

Pursuant to By-Law No. 17-2017, Section 4.1.1(3), failure to licence your dog with the City of Thorold could result in fines being laid.

A veterinarian certificate showing proof of sterilization is required to receive an appropriate discount.

Dog licences for the year 2018 may be obtained from the following locations:

Thorold City Hall
3540 Schmon Parkway
Thorold, Ontario 


Marriage Licences

Licences for marriages to be performed in Ontario are available issued by the Clerk's Department.

Applicants are encouraged to contact the office well in advance of the intended date of marriage to review the requirements for obtaining a licence. Please call the office prior to attending to ensure someone is available to issue your licence.

Marriage Licence Requirements

1.         Marriage Licences are issued only to the bride and/or groom.

2.         Both parties must sign the completed Marriage Licence Application. If any information is 
            unknown or not applicable please indicate this in the space provided.

3.         The following identification is required by ALL individuals applying for a marriage licence: 
            Original Birth Certificate AND a valid Driver’s Licence OR a valid Passport.  If 
            applicable, please provide any change of name certificates
, Record of Immigrant 
or Canadian Citizenship card for both parties.

4.         The Licence fee is $125.00 cash, debit or certified cheque only.  A personal cheque is     
            not acceptable.

5.         Hours Issued: 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. Please call prior to attending 
            the office to be sure someone is available to issue the licence.

6.         If you have been divorced within Canada, we require the original or a court certified      
            copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce
from the court where the       
            divorce was granted. A divorce judgment is not acceptable.

7.         If you were divorced outside of Canada, please contact the Office of the Registrar        
            General at 1-800-461-2156 for instruction.

8.         There are no residency, medical, or citizenship requirements.

9.         A Marriage Licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of three (3) months   
            from the date of issuance.

10.       Sixteen and seventeen year olds require the consent of both parents. Please see 
            Issuer for Form 6.

11.       It is highly recommended that you call prior to attending City Hall to ensure
            someone is available to issue your marriage licence. The Clerk’s Department can be 
            reached at (905) 227-6613, ext. 221, 223 or 224.

Lottery Licensing

Lottery Licences are required for Bingo, Raffle and Break-Open Ticket events. A lottery may be conducted by charitable, religious or educational organizations. Some of the requirements, as set out by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, are as follows:


1) Organizations must have been in existence a minimum of one (1) year, and able to prove they have been charitable.

2) The applicant organization must qualify as a charitable, religious or non-profit 

3) Organizations are required to use funds generated from lotteries to benefit 
    residents in the City of Thorold, the Region of Niagara or the Province of Ontario. 
    Funds may not be used for any purpose or objective outside the Province of 

4) Funds raised may not be used to start up a charitable or religious organization.

5) All organizations must maintain a separate account, at a local financial institution, 
    specifically for the deposit/disbursement of lottery proceeds. A separate account is 
    required for each type of lottery event.

6) At the end of each month a copy of the lottery account bank statement along with 
    copies of canceled cheques must be submitted to the City Clerk’s Office.

7) A copy of all deposit slips at the end of each event must accompany the report from 
    which the proceeds were derived.

Further information about lottery licensing is available at

Clerk's Homepage